Friday, December 10, 2010

K.I.S.S.


I don't have much to say today, so I'm keeping it simple (perfect for this week's IHCC theme!). I finally have all of my holiday shopping and wrapping completed, but I still have lots of crafting to do and cards to finish. That's my one goal for today. Get the cards in the mail. I should be able to handle that, right? Well, I would, if I could stop staring at these Honey Vanilla Bean Marshmallows. They keep pulling me in and I may end up getting sidetracked. If you get a Christmas card from me and it's sticky, you know why.

Oven Fried Garlic and Onion Chicken Fingers

Ingredients:
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1 cup French's Fried Onions (yet another thing that was in my pantry and I don't know why)
1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup whole wheat flour
Olive oil in a sprayer, or cooking spray (Mistos are one of the kitchen gods' greatest inventions!)

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a food processor, pulse fried onions with bread crumbs until crumbs form. Add pepper, cayenne, and garlic powder and pulse to combine. Pour into a shallow dish. Pour flour into another shallow dish, and beat eggs in a third. Dredge chicken tenders first in flour, then egg, then onion coating. Place on a lined baking sheet and spray liberally with oil or cooking spray. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked through.

Serve with homemade honey mustard dipping sauce for kiddos, or as a salad for grown ups. Mine is just mixed greens, tomato, red onion, blue cheese and dried cranberries. Nothing special, but it sure is good!

Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce

Ingredients:
1/2 c. dijon mustard
2 Tbls. plain yogurt
5 Tbls honey

Preparation:
Whisk ingredients to combine. 

*Note, for the salad, I whisked a few Tablespoons of olive oil and red wine vinegar into this sauce to make a dressing and seasoned it with salt and pepper. It definitely needs the acidity!

This post is linked to:
IHCC
Souper Sundays

9 comments:

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

Perfectly simple and tasty too! I have seen those French fried onions on tv, but haven't tried them. I don't know if they are in Canada.

BDDJ said...

Yum yum yum!

Following you from BabyDealsDujour, we list all the baby daily deals in real-time. Love to see you on Facebook and Twitter too.

Welcome To My Kitchen said...

I love your blog! Thanks for visiting Welcome To My Kitchen and following. This recipe also I will have to try. Thanks also for entering the giveaway!

Kelly~ Wave of Life Surf Studio said...

Looks yummy! Hi there~ I am your newest follower from the Friday blog hop! I would love it if you would stop by and return the love :)

http://waveoflifesurfstudio.blogspot.com/

Tiffany Christie said...

Here from the bloghop.
I follow you on GFC. I'd love for you to follow me back
Tiffany
http://tiffspixiedust.blogspot.com
Tiffypoot @ (aol.com)

Kim said...

Those marshmallows are calling my name too. The chicken fingers look delicious, but you're totally winning me over with the mustard sauce. I could eat it with a spoon!

Sweet and Savory said...

Using the onion rings is brilliant. I have to start thinking more about what I can add to breading. These must be scrumptious.

Thanks for linking this to Let's Do Lunch.

Debinhawaii said...

Between the chicken fingers and the dressing--this looks like one delicious salad. Thanks for sending it to Souper Sundays. ;-)

Jen said...

What a perfect meal for dinner!! Yummy!