Saturday, December 24, 2011

Holiday Baking Part 2: Breakfast, Brunch, and Brinner

If you read this blog with any regularity you know how I feel about breakfast. I'd eat it all day and the only thing I like for breakfast better than bacon is french toast. I never make it though. It may be all of that beating and dunking and frying nonsense, but I do have a special place in my heart for a french toast casserole. I love that you can whip it up in a few minutes the night before and have an amazing breakfast with zero effort in the morning. You can mix up the add ins to suit your taste. I've done pumpkin and raisin, fresh berries, and of course, gouda and pears. Make this for your Christmas morning breakfast when you're too lost in a maze of ribbon and wrap to really cook, serve it for New Years Day Brunch or eat it late night anytime. So yummy!


Challah Back Apple and Cheddar French Toast
Ingredients:
1 small loaf of challah bread, preferably a day or two old
2 small apples, chopped
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup vanilla soy milk
1/2 cup skim milk
3 eggs
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon

Preparation:
Slice or tear challah into cubes. Toss with apples and spread into a greased 9x9 glass baking dish. Whisk eggs, milk, 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese, salt, and cinnamon and pour over bread. Cover and chill for at least 8 hours or overnight. Remove dish from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before baking and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake covered in foil for 50 - 60 minutes or until set. Remove foil, sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake another 5 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing to serve.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds awesome. I especially like the title. :)

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Wicked! French toast is absolutely my all time favourite breakfast, but I love this idea of something that I can prep the night before. I can't wait to try this.
Sue :-)