Friday, January 27, 2012

Blend

More, please!
Feeding a baby is never boring. Aside from the inevitable splatters of mush all over your face, in your hair and on the carpet, feeding a baby is a ton of fun. Being a food lover, I prayed I'd have a baby that would love food. The second the Bean spit out a mouthful of baby oatmeal, I was doubtful. When he projectile vomited avocado at me, I was seriously worried. Then he had a banana and all hope was restored. Every time I introduce Jude to a spoon filled with something new, he studies it. Checks it from all angles and then opens his baby bird mouth. He hasn't loved it all, but he eats it all. It makes for a happy mama!

We've long since mastered the art of spoon (rather than whole fist and spoon) into mouth, but feeding an older baby has it's own challenges. Namely, portion size and making sure the right nutrients are all there. I've gotten to the point where I realized combo meals are the way to go. Jude gets his fruit/veggie servings, a protein serving, and whole grain serving in every meal. It just makes my life so much easier! It may sometimes appear to be a disgusting dish (like pears, egg yolks and oatmeal, oh boy!), but homeboy digs it. Here's a little sample of how I make little man's daily menu:

His favorite meals ( the ones that literally make him squeal like a piglet) are now the things that are flavor packed, so I may end up with a foodie baby yet. These are two of our current bests:

Caramelized Cinnamon Apples
Ingredients:
6 apples, peeled and chopped
water
1 tsp. cinnamon

Preparation:
Toss apples into a large saute pan with enough water to just cover the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for 10 -15 minutes, or until the apples are tender and the water reduces. Continue cooking until the apples are browned and the water has become syrupy. Add cinnamon and puree or fork mash to desired consistency. Serve with yogurt, oatmeal, or whatever your baby likes best!
*freeze anything you don't serve immediately in an ice cube tray or refrigerate for up to a week

Pastina with Pumpkin and Parmesan
Ingredients:
1 cup chicken stock (hopefully homemade!)
1/2 cup pastina
1/4 cup pureed pumpkin
parmesan cheese

Preparation:
Bring chicken stock to a boil. Add pastina and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in pumpkin. Grate parmesan over the top and serve.
*makes 2-3 servings depending on your baby! Refrigerate extras an serve in a day or two.


This post is linked to:
Friday Potluck
I'm Loving It

3 comments:

Joanne said...

I am SO bookmarking this menu plan for when I have kids! It's such a great resource!

Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com said...

Hi! Visiting from sundae scoop. Love the menu plan.. I need one for my little guy! And your two recipes look great as well. Thanks for sharing! :)

If you get a chance I would love for you to share this at my Friday link party going on now :)

Kat said...

I've been trying to put together a very similar post! I've been collecting recipes that Peanut loves and taking photos along the past couple of weeks.